Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Ch. Fifteen) GIANT CHANGE!!! YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THIS!!!
CHAPTER
FIFTEEN
The
Enemy’s Fate
“All
those times we were in that bathroom, and she was just three toilets away,”
said Ron bitterly, “and we could’ve asked her, and now…”
It
had been hard enough trying to look for spiders. Escaping their teachers long
enough to sneak into a girls’ bathroom, the girls’ bathroom, moreover, right
next to the scene of the first attack, was going to be almost impossible. But
something happened in Harry’s first lesson, Transfiguration, that drove the
Chamber of Secrets out of his mind for the first time in weeks.
Ten
minutes into the class, Professor McGonagall told them that their exams would
start on the first of June, one week from today.
“Exams?”
howled Pete. “We’re still getting exams?”
Professor
McGonagall turned, frowning, to Pete. “The whole point of keeping the school
open at this time is for you to receive your education,” she said sternly. “The
exams will therefore take place as usual, and I trust you are all studying
hard.”
Studying
hard! It had never occurred to Harry that there would be exams with the castle
in this state. There was a great deal of mutinous muttering around the room,
which made Professor McGonagall scowl even more darkly. “Professor Dumbledore’s
instructions were to keep the school running as normally as possible, she said.
“And that, I need hardly point out, means finding out how much you have learned
this year.”
Harry
looked down at the pair of white rabbits he was supposed to be turning into
slippers. What had he learned so far this year? He couldn’t seem to think of
anything that would be useful in an exam.
Later
at lunch, Ron looked as though he’d just been told he had to go and live in the
Forbidden Forest. (He hadn’t had Transfiguration yet today) “Can you imagine me
taking exams with this?” he asked Harry, holding up his wand, which had just
started whistling loudly.
Three
days before their first exam, Professor McGonagall made another announcement at
breakfast.
“I
have good news,” she said, and the Great Hall, instead of falling silent, erupted.
“Dumbledore’s
coming back!” several people yelled joyfully.
“You’ve
caught the Heir of Slytherin!” squealed a girl at the Ravenclaw table.
“Quidditch
matches are back on!” roared Oliver Wood excitedly.
When
the hubbub had subsided, Professor McGonagall said, “Professor Sprout has
informed me that the Mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will
be able to revive those people who have been Petrified. I need hardly remind
you all that one of them may well be able to tell us who, or what, attacked
them. I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with our catching the
culprit.”
There
was an explosion of cheering. Harry looked down the Slytherin table and wasn’t
at all surprised to see that Draco Malfoy hadn’t joined in.
Ron,
however, was looking happier than he’d looked in days. “It won’t matter that we
never asked Myrtle, then!” he said to Harry. “Hermione’ll probably have all the
answers when they wake her up! Mind you, she’ll go crazy when she finds out
we’ve got exams in three days’ time. She hasn’t studied. It might be kinder to
leave her where she is till they’re over.”
Just
then, Ginny Weasley came over and sat down next to Ron. She looked tense and
nervous, and Harry noticed that her hands were twisting in her lap.
“What’s
up?” said Ron, helping himself to more porridge.
Ginny
didn’t say anything, but glanced up and down the Gryffindor table with a scared
look on her face that reminded Harry of someone, though he couldn’t think who.
“Spit
it out,” said Ron, watching her.
Harry
suddenly realized who Ginny looked like. She was rocking backward and forward
slightly in her chair, exactly like Dobby did when he was teetering on the edge
of revealing forbidden information.
“I’ve
got to tell you something,” Ginny mumbled, carefully not looking at Harry.
“What
is it?” said Harry.
Ginny
looked as though she couldn’t find the right words.
“What?”
said Ron.
Ginny
opened her mouth, but no sound came out.
Harry
leaned forward and spoke quietly, so that only Ginny and Ron could hear him.
“Is it something about the Chamber of Secrets? Have you seen something? Someone
acting oddly?”
Ginny
drew a deep breath, and, at that precise moment, Percy Weasley appeared,
looking tired and wan.
“If
you’ve finished eating, I’ll take that seat, Ginny. I’m starving, I’ve only
just come off patrol duty.”
Ginny
jumped up as though her chair had just been electrified, gave Percy a fleeting,
frightened look, and scampered away. Percy sat down and grabbed a mug from the
center of the table.
“Percy!”
said Ron angrily. “She was just about to tell us something important!”
Halfway
through a gulp of tea, Percy choked. “What sort of thing?” he said, coughing.
“I
just asked her if she’d seen anything odd, and she started to say…”
“Oh
— that — that’s nothing to do with the Chamber of Secrets,” said Percy at once.
“How
do you know?” said Ron, his eyebrows raised.
“Well,
er, if you must know, Ginny, er, walked in on me the other day when I was —
well, never mind — the point is, she spotted me doing something and I, um, I
asked her not to mention it to anybody. I must say, I did think she’d keep her
word. It’s nothing, really, I’d just rather —”
Harry
had never seen Percy look so uncomfortable.
“What
were you doing, Percy?” said Ron, grinning. “Go on, tell us, we won’t laugh.”
Percy
didn’t smile back. “Pass me those rolls, Harry, I’m starving.”
Harry
knew the whole mystery might be solved tomorrow without their help, but he
wasn’t about to pass up a chance to speak to Myrtle if it turned up — and to
his delight it did, midmorning, when they were being led to History of Magic by
Gilderoy Lockhart.
Lockhart,
who had so often assured them that all danger had passed, only to be proved
wrong right away, was now wholeheartedly convinced that it was hardly worth the
trouble to see them safely down the corridors. His hair wasn’t as sleek as
usual; it seemed he had been up most of the night, patrolling the fourth floor.
“Mark
my words,” he said, ushering them around a corner. “The first words out of
those poor Petrified people’s mouths will be ‘It was Hagrid.’ Frankly, I’m
astounded Professor McGonagall thinks all these security measures are
necessary.”
“I
agree, sir,” said Harry.
“Thank
you, Harry,” said Lockhart graciously while they waited for a long line of
Hufflepuffs to pass. “I mean, we teachers have quite enough to be getting on
with, without walking students to classes and standing guard all night…”
“That’s
right,” said Harry. “Why don’t you leave us here, sir, we’ve only got one more
corridor to go —”
“You
know, Harry, I think I will,” said Lockhart. “I really should go and prepare my
next class —” And he hurried off.
Harry
let the rest of the Slytherins draw ahead of him, then darted down a side
passage and hurried off toward Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom. But just as he was
congratulating himself on his brilliant scheme.
“Potter!
What are you doing?” It was Professor McGonagall, and her mouth was the
thinnest of thin lines.
“I
was- I was-” Harry stammered. “I was going to — to go and see — Hermione,”
Professor
McGonagall both looked at him.
“I
haven’t seen her for ages, Professor,” Harry went on hurriedly. “and I thought I’d
sneak into the hospital wing, you know, and tell her the Mandrakes are nearly
ready and, er, not to worry —”
Professor
McGonagall was still staring at him, and for a moment, Harry thought she was
going to explode, but when she spoke, it was in a strangely croaky voice.
“Of
course,” she said, and Harry, amazed, saw a tear glistening in her beady eye.
“Of course, I realize this has all been hardest on the friends of those who
have been… I quite understand. Yes, Potter, of course you may visit Miss
Granger. I will inform Professor Binns where you’ve gone. Tell Madam Pomfrey I
have given my permission.”
Harry
walked away, hardly daring to believe that he’d avoided detention. As he turned
the corner, he distinctly heard Professor McGonagall blow her nose.
He had no choice now but to go to the hospital
wing and tell Madam Pomfrey that he had Professor McGonagall’s permission to
visit Hermione.
Madam
Pomfrey let him in, but reluctantly. “There’s just no point talking to a
Petrified. person,” she said, and he had to admit she had a point when he’d
taken his seat next to Hermione.
It
was plain that Hermione didn’t have the faintest inkling that she had a visitor,
and that they might just as well tell her bedside cabinet not to worry for all
the good it would do.
“Wonder
if she did see the attacker, though?” muttered Harry to himself, looking sadly
at Hermione’s rigid face. “Because if he sneaked up on them all, no one’ll ever
know…”
Something
caught Harry’s interest in Hermione’s right hand. It lay clenched on top of her
blankets, and bending closer, he saw that a piece of paper was scrunched inside
her fist. Making sure that Madam Pomfrey was nowhere near, he shifted his chair
so that he blocked what he was doing from Madam Pomfrey’s view. It was no easy
task. Hermione’s hand was clamped so tightly around the paper that Harry was
sure he was going to tear it. He tugged and twisted, and at last, after several
tense minutes, the paper came free. It was a page torn from a very old library
book. Harry smoothed it out eagerly.
Of
the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more
curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents.
This snake, which may reach gigantic size and live many hundreds of years, is
born from a chicken’s egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its methods of killing are
most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a
murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer
instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy,
and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to
it.
And
beneath this, a single word had been written, in a hand Harry recognized as
Hermione’s. Pipes. It was as though somebody had just flicked a light on
in his brain.
“This
is it.” He breathed “This is the answer. The monster in the Chamber’s a
basilisk — a giant serpent! That’s why I’ve been hearing that voice all over
the place, and nobody else has heard it. It’s because I understand Parseltongue…”
Harry looked up at the beds around him. “The basilisk kills people by looking
at them. But no one’s died — because no one looked it straight in the eye.
Colin saw it through his camera. The basilisk burned up all the film inside it,
but Colin just got Petrified. Justin… Justin must’ve seen the basilisk through
Nearly Headless Nick! Nick got the full blast of it, but he couldn’t die again…
and Hermione and that Ravenclaw prefect were found with a mirror next to them.
Hermione had just realized the monster was a basilisk. I bet you anything she
warned the first person she met to look around corners with a mirror first! And
that girl pulled out her mirror — and — And Mrs. Norris?” Harry thought hard,
picturing the scene on the night of Halloween. “The water…” he said slowly.
“The flood from Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom. I bet you Mrs. Norris only saw the
reflection…”
He
scanned the page in his hand eagerly. The more he looked at it, the more it
made sense. “… The crowing of the rooster… is fatal to it”! he read aloud.
“Hagrid’s roosters were killed! The Heir of Slytherin didn’t want one anywhere
near the castle once the Chamber was opened! Spiders flee before it.! It all
fits!”
Harry
pointed at the word Hermione had scribbled at the foot of the page. “Pipes,” he
said. “Pipes… it’s been using the plumbing. I’ve been hearing that voice inside
the walls…
“The
entrance to the Chamber of Secrets!” Harry said hoarsely. “What if it’s a
bathroom? What if it’s in — Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom,” said Harry.
He
sat there, excitement coursing through him, hardly able to believe it. “This
means,” said Harry, “I can’t be the only Parselmouth in the school. The Heir of
Slytherin’s one, too. That’s how he’s been controlling the basilisk.”
I’ve
got to go to the staff room. Harry
thought. Warn McGonagall. She’ll be there in ten minutes, it’s nearly break.
He
ran downstairs. Not wanting to be discovered hanging around in another
corridor, He went straight into the deserted staff room. It was a large,
paneled room full of dark, wooden chairs. Harry paced around it, too excited to
sit down.
But
the bell to signal break never came. Instead, echoing through the corridors
came Professor McGonagall’s voice, magically magnified. “All students to return
to their House dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room.
Immediately, please.”
Harry
mind whirled. Not another attack? Not now?
Harry
glanced around. There was an ugly sort of wardrobe to his left, full of the
teachers’ cloaks.
Let’s
hear what it’s all about.
Then I can tell Ron what I’ve found out.
He
hid himself inside it, listening to the rumbling of hundreds of people moving
overhead, and the staff room door banging open.
From
between the musty folds of the cloaks, he watched the teachers filtering into
the room. Some of them were looking puzzled, others downright scared.
Then
Professor McGonagall arrived. “It has happened,” she told the silent staff
room. “A student has been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself.”
Professor
Flitwick let out a squeal. Professor Sprout clapped her hands over her mouth.
Snape
gripped the back of a chair very hard and said, “How can you be sure?”
“The
Heir of Slytherin,” said Professor McGonagall, who was very white, “left
another message. Right underneath the first one. ‘His skeleton will lie in
the Chamber forever.’”
Professor
Flitwick burst into tears.
“Who
is it?” said Madam Hooch, who had sunk, weak-kneed, into a chair. “Which
student?”
Professor
McGonagall took a deep breath. “Draco Malfoy.”
Comments
Post a Comment